The term codeless would refer to an approach for automating the functional test cases without or minimum amount of code. It would be pertinent to mention here that most codes would require handling of necessary actions. A majority of people would refer to it as model based testing. The tools supporting Codeless API test automation would cater an integrative GUI to the user. As a result, the user would be automating any test case for choosing an object and adding action for it. Therefore, on adding similar steps a user could develop a test script without writing any single line of code.
Working of Codeless automation
A majority of Codeless automation tools would be wrappers written an open-source automation tools, as Selenium Web Driver. When you would be adding any object for the test step, the tool would fetch the identifier for that object. In the background, the tool would be adding the action required to be taken on a specific identifier. Therefore, you would be required to go through the objects and actions being added on the UI. However, the code is automatically developed in the background.
Benefits of codeless automation
Find below some of the essential benefits offered by codeless automation.
- You would not be required to develop complex automation frameworks.
- Ease of training manual QA engineers on these kinds of tools
- Ease of understanding test scripts
- Convenience of configuring
- Additional velocity in development of automation test scripts
- Known for supporting agile
- The tool is highly economical, as you would be required to pay for the tool and not extra automation test engineers
Drawbacks of codeless automation
There are few drawbacks associated with codeless automation tool.
- Difficulty in customization
- Majority of codeless automation tools have been online, therefore, your application should be public IP to making it accessible to tool
- The tools might be facing challenges to perform action on essential components of the website
- Verification of file contents might not be possible
- May not be able to support upload and download file scenarios
What parameters should be taken care of when selecting the tool?
Find below few parameters for taking care of when choosing the tool.
- The tool should support multi-browser
- Should support API testing
- Support database testing
- Provide support to data driven testing
- Should provide batch execution of test cases
- Should offer decent reporting along with screenshots
- Should provide email able reports
- Should encompass test execution speed and good locator strategy
- Should integrate support with third party tools
- Should offer several types of assertions